Thursday, August 1, 2013

MTC Time Warp

Hello everyone! 

This week has been so crazy! Last week, I won't lie, was a little terrible. The first couple of days adjusting to MTC life were so overwhelming and it seemed like I would never be about to catch my breath. But it looks like everyone else's MTC happiness is rubbing off on me a little bit! I'm actually starting to enjoy it here. The people are so nice and so will to help whenever help is needed. 
By the way, Mom and Dad, thank you for the package you sent! All of that stuff is exactly what I needed. :) I love you. 

This week we received another investigator. His name is Victor. He's about 50 years old, he's nearly homeless, he collects bottles in the early morning hours to trade them in for money so that he can feed himself and his daughter. It hurts my heart to see him living in such poor circumstances. It's really weird being a missionary sometimes...you love people that you just barely met. You want them to know the truthfulness of the Gospel SO BADLY. It seems like Victor has no hope for the future because of the current circumstances that he's in, but I know without a shadow of a doubt, that we have the message that he's looking for. I know that in the time we spend with him, that he will come to understand the light and the hope that comes along with the Gospel.

This week seems to have flown by so fast. Last week was the longest week of my life and now it seems that this week has gone by so quickly! The MTC really is a time warp. I've felt pretty homesick this week, what with it being Pioneer Days and all. But I'm really coming to an understanding that I am here, on this mission, at the right time, and I'm in the right place. I haven't quite figured out why yet, but I'm sure that answer will come eventually. 

I've been thinking a lot about a certain topic lately, and it's been on my mind a lot. I just talked to my companions about it the other day. I've been thinking that, for the longest time, I have been having this feeling that I miss people and places that I've never met and I've never been to. I miss people I don't now, and I long to go back to places that I've never been to! I'm starting to realize more and more that Russia is what I'm missing. As I learn more of the language, my respect and undying love for the Russian people grows as well. I love them already. I feel as though I've just been on a long trip away, and now, in 7 more weeks, I'm going home to them. It's a really interesting feeling. A lot of the speakers and lessons I've been listening to also have said that the Russian people have been prepared from the beginning to hear the message that we have to bring them. Isn't that amazing and humbling to think about? It's amazing to think that Heavenly Father loves them and knows them so well that He knew exactly what circumstances He needed to put them in to be able and ready to hear our message. I just can't wait to get over them and finally meet the people I've been missing.

So much has happened this week that it all seems like such a blur. So much goes on here that it's impossible to tell you guys everything. For the most part, all missionaries do in the MTC is study and eat. Really, that's it! But when you're actually doing it, it's the most exhausting (spiritually, emotionally, AND physically) thing that I've ever had to do before. I'm always tired and I never seem to get enough sleep. BUT a councilor (oh my gosh...is that the right word? English..slipping...so...fast...) gave a talk in Sacrament that said, "We as missionaries need to be willing to exhaust ourselves for the work of the Lord." And how true is that? We aren't the ones converting people. The Spirit is. BUT we also have be doing our part, learning the language, being worthy vessels for the Spirit to come in and reside so that these people can hear Heavenly Father's message. We are the tools that Heavenly Father uses to take the Gospel to these people. Being a tool in the Lord's hands requires every ounce of energy that we have...and that's okay. :) That's what missionary work is all about; being willing and able to work hard, love the people, and preach the Gospel as best we can. And if we do, if we endure it well, then God will endow us with power.

Another fun thing about this week is that our district seems to be getting closer together. We're all getting used to the dynamic of the group, and all the different personalities we all have to offer. We say some of the goofiest things! The elders in my district remind me so much of Dustin! It's crazy! Here are some of the hilarious quotes we've accumulated over the last week:
- "Oh it's okay, it's my blind eye!" - Elder Stebbing in response to Brother Wells throwing a pack of Skittles at his face.
- "Is that buffalo wearing a sombrero?" - Sister Taylor in response to Elder Hyde's drawing on the blackboard
- "Have you ever gone...cougar tipping?" - Elder Sitton in response to my story about cow tipping.

Anyway, super fun group! They're all so unique and different, and yet our district is one of the funnest groups here! It's been pretty amazing getting to know all of them. I'm sure gonna miss them when the next 7 weeks are up! The Russian is coming along, I suppose. I still feel like I'm rather far ahead of everyone, so that's been frustrating to try and teach myself Russian while everyone else catches up. But it won't be long until they do, I'm sure. They're all really smart and ready to learn and grow.
Anyway, how are things going in Idaho?  I don't get many letters, so I would love to hear from any of you at any time during the week! I have P-Days on Tuesdays, so that's really the only time I have to write and receive emails. Handwritten letters are so nice during the week! :) I love them all though. Speaking of Idaho, Becky! How are wedding plans going? I want details!

I love you all! I know this Gospel is true. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true Church of God on the earth. Through the Gospel, we can find a happiness and undeniable joy that is noticeable to all those who don't have it. I love you all so so so much and I think about you constantly. I see your faces in the faces of those who are at the MTC. I pray for you every single night and I love hearing from you! Keep me updated on everything! I love you, I pray for you, and I can't wait to share all of my adventures with you! 
All My Love,
Sleepless Near Salt Lake,
Sister Biorn

No comments:

Post a Comment